Search

January 28, 2019 Snow Letter
January 28, 2019 Snow Letter
Len Morrow
Monday, January 28, 2019


January 28, 2019

Dear Manton Community/Families,

 

I wanted to take a minute to update you on the issue of snow days and the upcoming weather.  Today marked the 7th day we have been out of school.  The Michigan Department of Education forgives six days, but you are able to ask for three additional days.  We have asked for those three extra days the last several years, and they have been granted.  I will be doing so again this year, but their decision may not come until April.  If the Michigan Department of Education grants those days, we will have two additional days after today.  With the expected road conditions and wind chill forecasted for the rest of the week, it is possible we could use some of those days this week.

 

Please know that the decision to close school is not one that is taken lightly.  I understand the problems that snow days create for families in trying to find childcare for their children.  Parents may have to take work off and lose expected wages.  Above all, safety is our number one priority.  Even though we may soon be out of days if the waiver is granted, we will still close school if we feel that children cannot make it safely to school.  This may result in making days up at the end of the year.  We feel this is a better option than putting the safety of our children at risk. 

 

As we move forward, please know that we may start using 2-3 hour delays again.  We close school if the wind chill is -20 or if road conditions are bad.  There may be days in which the temperature improves, or the plows can clean up the roads enough to go school.  Wind chill is also difficult to determine.  It may be one temperature at your house and another in town.  Several different sources are used to help make the best decision.  Each day is different with its own set of challenges when it comes to making this difficult decision.  Athletic contest decisions are usually made by noon the day of a closing.  We may play a game if weather and road conditions improve enough for students to travel safely.  The conditions can improve greatly in the 12 hours between when a decision to close school is made and an athletic contest is played that evening.

 

In closing, I hope that this day has provided you with some quality time with your family.  Please stay safe and warm!  Feel free to call the central office or your building office should you ever have any questions.  Go Rangers!


Len Morrow, Manton Consolidated Schools Superintendent