Search

February 13, 2019 Snow Day Update
February 13, 2019 Snow Day Update
Len Morrow
Wednesday, February 13, 2019

February 13, 2019

Dear Manton Families/Community,

I again want to update you on where we stand in regards to the snow day situation.  I am sure you join me in frustration with the weather.  Today was the 15th day that we have had to take off of school.  We have applied for 3 additional days to be forgiven with the help of the Wexford/Missaukee ISD.  It does not seem at this point that it will take as long as originally thought to see whether those days will be approved.  We are now hoping to know within two weeks.  In addition, I spoke with Representative Hoitenga today.  This morning she introduced a bill that would forgive an additional 3 days missed due to the State of Emergency, allow schools the option to just count total hours, and eliminate the 180 day requirement.  She believes the bill has a good chance to pass.  She is working on having the bill fast tracked, so we can have an answer as soon as possible.  I spoke with Senator VanderWall in person yesterday.  He also is looking at ways to help the schools out in this situation.  We appreciate their willingness and hard work to find a solution to this unusual situation. 

Keeping the above information in mind, the decision was made to turn tomorrow’s ½ day for students into a full day.  This will add a little over 3 additional hours to our yearly total.  We are also looking at other options like turning all ½ days into full days and possibly attending school on April 19th.  If the bill passes, we may also make some adjustments to the start and ending time of the school day.  Scheduling school this Friday and possibly on Monday were discussed, but the Career Tech Center is closed.  We were concerned we would not meet our 75% attendance threshold to count either of those days, so we decided not to move forward with that plan.  As I get more information and additional decisions on changes are made, we will let you know.

I appreciate your time and patience during this interesting winter.  Hopefully the weather breaks soon, and we can continue to consistently serve the students and community in our mission to provide them with the best education possible.  I do realize it is mid-February and there may still be days ahead we have to cancel.  That decision is always made with our students’ safety being placed ahead of all other considerations.  I hope you and your family are able to make the best of the time this weather has provided.  Have a great day and Go Rangers!

Len Morrow

Manton Consolidated Schools Superintendent